Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, April 6, 2012

Happy Easter!!


Has it been a month since I lasted posted?  I guess so! Just after my last post my computer crashed with a resounding thud.  I ended up having to get a new computer, which was fine as my old one was 9 years old and had served me well. So now I have Windows 7, a new email program, and I can play my farming games again!! I gave up on my old computer as it would freeze, shut down, and take forever to do stuff. One of the less fun parts of getting a new computer is that all my pictures and saved emails and folders ( I did end up losing some)are in some strange foreign code!  This necessitates that I open each and every one, save it and rename it.  What a pain!

Meanwhile I just haven't been in the mood for blogging. Not quite sure why--maybe it's been a part of reviewing my life and my plans. I do enjoy reading other people's blogs though!  On the big decision making meter, I have decided that come June, I am officially retiring from all my volunteering at the Edmonton General. I will have volunteered for 7 1/2 years by June.  In that time I've taken on executive positions of chair, co-chair, and secretary on Family Council and Second Wind Dreams, even though I didn't really want to, but felt that as no one else stepped up to do them, I'd better.  There are a number of reasons for this decision: I'm feeling burnt out, I'm kind of bored with some of the aspects--like meetings all the time and the annual BBQ, I think our little group has been together too long and there are these little undercurrents of strife, and I don't need that in my life, and it's time to do other things. I have debated this decision for close to 2 years and have come close to quitting a number of times.  I always wanted to see this through until my dad was gone.  But this time, I feel good about the decision--no guilt, no worries about the programs--they will survive if they are meant to.  It will be a welcome change just to go to the EG to visit my dad--like the way 90% of the family members of residents do! So onward and upward!! I enjoy volunteering at Northlands--they treat their volunteers like gold and always make sure to let us know that we are appreciated.  And it's fun stuff--meeting the public at fun, big events is a real tonic!!

As for other activities, I'm taking a 16 week Homeopathic First Aid Course online starting April 16.  I intend to get more involved in dog related activities--I finally joined the Collie Club of Canada and also joined the American Working Collie Association. And of course I'm looking to get another puppy!

In the meantime, we survived another burst of winter weather on Thursday.  We've had a dump of heavy wet snow every week for the last 3 weeks--let's hope this was the last one! My tulips were just coming up and my chives are up!



Chives

Dave and I had our Easter supper tonight--roast turkey, peas and carrots from last year's garden, wild rice with apricots and almonds, and sultana bars and chocolate Easter eggs for dessert!! He delivers potable water to several oil well drilling sites, every 2 days.  So he worked this morning, drove up here, and will have to leave tomorrow afternoon, and deliver again Sunday morning.  But at least we are ahead of the holiday this time, not like at Christmas! LOL!!

Happy Easter everyone!!


4 comments:

Jane said...

I didn't realize it had been a month since you last posted - but it does seem like forever, now that I think of it! Having a computer crash sounds like it would be a gigantic pain indeed, but now you are back in the game and better than ever :)

I'm certain the Edmonton General hated to see you leave - but truly appreciated all of your efforts over the past 7.5 years.

Wasn't that last (I sure hope) blast of winter a real kicker? I was just outside and lots of stuff is coming up - a welcome sight for sure.

Enjoy your Homeopathic Course - and maybe a new puppy - I'd also like to get a friend for Emma :) Happy Easter!!

JM said...

Happy Easter!

I think it sounds like you're on the right path with stepping aside from the volunteering with the EG. I know how hard you've worked over the past years and you could sure use a break, and a change too. Kudos to you for all you did and I hope they appreciated it!

Those photos are something else! Wow. Spring storms...just not fair, especially when the flowers are coming up and you can feel spring in the air.

I'm glad Dave was able to make it up for Easter. Good luck with the homeopathy course (can't wait for you to blog about it)...

((HUGS))

onecollie said...

Happy Easter Dianne!!!!
I am glad you have made a decision you are happy with, life is way to short to be doing things that you do not enjoy. I try to only do things that are good for me, it's time I was selfish LOL!! I don't regret a minute of working less hrs. I do my dog stuff that gives me much pleasure. You will have lots to do once the new puppy comes!! so exciting, you should try out agility. I can put you in touch with a group in Edmonton, they have tons of trials there, Ican tell you when & where, if you want to get out & watch sometime.I am excitied to hear about your new online course!! I might look into something like that for myself!
Your Easter supper sounded delicious!!! I am making a pizza for ours! much too tired to do anything else :)

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

Happy Easter to you too. We go through blog swings too. Sometimes a lot isn't happening.

Essex & Sherman